Friday, March 1, 2013

Donna's day

                       Almost a year ago I was surfing around on Facebook and one of the bloggers I followed introduced me to Mary Tyler Mom. Mary Tyler Mom is a blogger from Chicago, she is a mother, a writer, a wife, a damn funny person, a brave woman and a damn WARRIOR. In March 2007, Her baby (20 month old) Donna was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor. This baby went through 31 months of treatment with the normal ups and downs that any cancer patient would go through, except this was a baby girl. Donna died on October 19th, 2009 at just slightly over 4 years old.......let that sink in for a minute, just slightly over 4 years old. As humans we see death daily, in our families, on television and in movies, in video games and even on the nightly news, but when it is a child, a CHILD, that's when it hits you hardest.

                     Now, I am a mother and I have never lost a child, but I can't even imagine. This woman is a god dang warrior, possibly one of the strongest, most inspiring people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing (even if it is just through the Internet). She is a soldier in the army of parents who have lost the most important thing to them and I salute her. Being a mother is THE hardest job any woman will ever have, it is also the most rewarding. They say that having a child is like living with your heart walking around outside of your body, and I believe that is 100% true.

                    I could not even begin to understand or fathom that kind of loss. I worry so much about my son all the time, even when I know he is in a safe place. He's 5, it's my job to protect him and love him, but how do you protect your child from something you can't see, how do you protect your child from something like cancer? I can't even pretend to understand the emotions and fear that this family went through, especially this mom. We all love our babies, but as a mom you have a connection with that baby on a whole different level, that baby was a part of you, is a part of you. They live inside you for 9 months, you feed them, you protect them and then you deliver them out into a dangerous world, for that alone we are Strong, to lose a child to death (regardless of the reason) makes you a damn warrior.

                    Today is Donna's day, and I for one am glad I know her story and am glad I know her momma. I am proud to know her momma and to have read that story, I may have cried like a baby during it (and we are not talking a pretty cry, we are talking full on snotty, ugly face cry), but it has made me love my child more and take less for granted. Take a read and it'll change your life. Donna, I may not know you personally but, good gosh, I love you (and your momma).

Please take time to read this wonderful writing and amazing story @ http://www.chicagonow.com/mary-tyler-mom
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment